135 E. Woodin Avenue,
2 people favorited this theater
Ruby Theatre (Official)
Functions: Movies (First Run)
News About This Theater
- Aug 25, 2013 — Ruby approaches 100
The Ruby Theatre opened July 1, 1914 as a vaudeville and silent movie theatre. Original seating in the Ruby Theatre was 225 on the first floor and 125 in the balcony. In 1930 the Ruby Theatre upgraded to ‘talking pictures’.
In 1947, a new ‘tube’ Mirrophonic sound system was added, along with the Motiographic AA Projector. The exterior of the building was remodelled in 1948. In 1974, the arch above the stage was widened by two feet, to adjust to the new cinema size. The aisles were also widened and lit.
In the 1980’s a thrust stage was added, and in 1989, the seats were reupholstered. In 1993, the owners purchased auditorium lights that had come from the Orpheum Theatre in Portland, which was torn down in the 1970’s. A new sound system replaced the 1947 ‘tube’ system in April 1999.
The present owners, Jean Payne Vick, Mary Murphy and Larry Hibbard, purchased the Ruby Theatre in April of 1989, when the community was at risk of losing its only movie theatre. Except for a two-year closure from 1972 to 1974 the Ruby Theatre has been continuously running as a movie theatre since it opened in 1914. In 2013 it was equipped with a digital projector.
The Ruby Theatre was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.