St. Louis Park Theatre
4835 Minnetonka Boulevard,
St. Louis Park,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Mann Theatres, MN
Architects: Perry E. Crosier
Styles: Streamline Moderne
- St. Louis Park Cinema 6
- Showplace ICON Theatre at W...
- Cooper Theatre
- Westgate Theatre
- Granada Theatre
News About This Theater
- May 23, 2012 — Celebrating the Original STAR WARS on its 35th Anniversary
- Mar 20, 2009 — Remembering Cinerama (Part 23: Minneapolis)
- May 25, 2007 — Happy 30th, Star Wars!
The St. Louis Park Theatre opened May 10, 1939, in the Minneapolis suburb for which the theater was named. Costing over $100,000 to construct, and designed by architect Perry E. Crosier in elegant Art Moderne style resembling more a sleek, sophisticated downtown nightclub of the era than a neighborhood movie house. It was one of the first theatres in the Twin Cities suburbs to allow smoking.
In 1957, the theatre was modernized, including the addition of 70mm projection equipment, only the second theatre in the state to do so, after the Academy Theatre downtown. In 1963, Mann Theatres took over the theatre, and on December 21, 1965, the St. Louis Park Theatre again was remodeled, this time for the addition of Cinerama, with “The Battle of the Bulge”.
During the rest of the 1960’s and well into the 1970’s, the St. Louis Park Theatre remained one of the main road-show format houses of the Twin Cities area. However, after a nearly 60-week run of “Star Wars”, the theatre closed in 1980. The auditorium was demolished, and the lobby space converted into retail space.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.