168 New Dorp Lane,
10 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Liggett-Florin Booking Service
Architects: John Adolph Emil Eberson
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Located in the New Dorp district of Staten Island. Charles, Elias and Lewis Moses were the original owners of the theatre when it screened Deanna Durbin in "100 Men and a Girl" at its opening on February 10, 1938. The second feature in the opening program was "Hideaway." The theatre’s "homey" atmosphere boasted a mere 600 seats and cost about $100,000.00 to build.
It offered the most modern RCA sound system of the time and was cooled by refrigeration. A spaghetti-eating contest was held at the theatre and in 1942, a bed making contest was offered to open the film "Bedtime Story." By 1950 it was operated by Liggett-Florin Booking Service.
It was remodeled in 1977 and the seats dwindled to 550. The Lane Theater closed as a movie theatre on February 22, 1990 with Charlie Sheen in “Courage Mountain” & Jane Fonda in “Stanley & Iris”. In 1998, several concerts were given there. "The EleMent" nightclub opened and eventually closed in June 2001 due to drug related problems with the club crowds.
The "Lane" name can still be seen above the marquee. The name "EleMent" is still shown on the marquee.
The ceiling of the auditorium has a galactic motif. The interior has been Landmarked since November 1988.
In the summer of 2009, it was renovated, and was reopened as Uncle Vinnies Comedy Club on November 13, 2009. This was suddenly closed in April 2011.
In March 2012 it become the Crossroads Church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.