Royalty Cinema

105-109 Lancaster Road,
London, W11 1QF

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Uploaded By

Tiny Ron Knee

More Photos of This Theater

Photo Info

Uploaded on: June 28, 2022

Size: 228.3 KB

Views: 477

License:

Royalty Cinema North Kensington

This photograph was taken in 1968. The Royalty cinema was built by Wyanbee Theatres, whose Chairman was noted Architect John Stanley Beard and Managing Director Herbert Alfred Yapp. The previous year 1928 Yapp sold two of his cinemas the Putney and Wandsworth Palace Theatres, the finance raised from these two sales was invested into the new build Royalty Cinema which became the first of five new cinemas the company were to build over the next six years, using Chairman Stanley Beard as Architect for all five. The Royalty interior was part atmospheric with additional embellishments and decoration by Arthur Searle & Co. The entrance was in an arched classical design, leading to a grand staircase which gave access to the circle. The auditorium interior was finished in tones of amber, green and silver with amber lighting scheme throughout. A large stage being 44ft in width had been built for additional Variety performances. The Conductor was Sydney Tannen, in addition a Compton “Kinestra” Organ was installed the organist being Frederick Hanson. The opening ceremony was a grand affair, in the presence of their Royal Highnesses Princess Helena Victoria and Princess Mary Louise. The Opening Ceremony was performed by the Mayor of Kensington supported by Chairman Stanley Beard and Managing Director Herbert Yapp.

Ron Knee

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment