Plaza Cinema

538-540 Kingsland Road,
London, E8 4AH

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Uploaded By

Tiny Ron Knee

More Photos of This Theater

Photo Info

Taken on: April 1, 2023

Uploaded on: August 25, 2023

Software: Windows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384

Size: 399.9 KB

Views: 288

Full EXIF: View all

Software: Windows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384

Date time: 2023-08-25 17:36:56 +0000

Date time original: 2023-04-01 15:25:56 +0000

Date time digitized: 2023-04-01 15:25:56 +0000

Subsec time original: 00

Subsec time digitized: 00

Color space: 1

License:

Plaza Cinema Kingsland Road

The former Imperial cinema was purchased by Kingsland Pictures Ltd in March 1933. Directors Frank Okin and Brothers L & J Goldstein made the statement that the former “Imperial Cinema” would be no more and the entire building would be completely modernised with the whole interior decorative planning left in the hands of Mollo & Egan Ltd. On August Bank Holiday Monday 7th August 1933 the old Imperial cinema had undergone a drastic change, not only internally but also externally with the new name ‘Plaza’. The bright new entrance foyer had a main colour scheme of gold. The twin pay boxes were set into the back wall on the left side of entrance, they were fluted from top to bottom in an old gold finish. Gold Marb-L-Cote was used on the ceiling surface, with a relief of red and black with light fittings in pink glass. Rubber floor covering of a modern design in three colours cover the entire entrance foyer, either side of the pay boxes doors lead to the stalls, while opposite two staircases lead up to the circle. The auditorium side walls were shaded in bands of Venetian red over sprayed with gold, the side walls were formed in sections with fibrous plaster piers dividing each these were finished in gold Marb-l-Cote. Sited in the centre of each section an ornamental semi-circular drum with fluted front in three tiers, the base covered in pink glass and internally lit. A moulded frieze separated the top of wall from ceiling finished in gold and highlighted in green, with entire ceiling covered in old gold Marb-L-Cote. The splay walls either side of the proscenium formed the most attractive feature of the whole decorative scheme. Horizontal bands of dark red and white, gold and dark blue climb to the ceiling and set into the centre of each were 8ft recesses displaying three tier fountains of pink glass which are internally lit, these were surmounted by domed hoods applied with dark green palm fronds overlapping the edge. The plain proscenium had a black base and top with futuristic design in gold relieved in red and blue. Gold mirror reflective screen curtains with foliate appliqué designs finished the proscenium decorative effect. Auditorium tub seating finished in green moquette, supplied and fitted by W.Lusty & Son. Seating 1,250 in stalls and 150 in circle. Fitted carpet in green with modern designs of red and fawn supplied by Kalee who also supplied the two Kalee No.8 projectors with B.T.H. sound.

Ron Knee

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment