St. Francis Theatre & Baronet Theatre
965 Market Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Architects: John Galen Howard
Styles: Spanish Renaissance
Previous Names: Empress Theatre, Strand Theatre, St. Francis Theatre
News About This Theater
- May 4, 2013 — St. Francis comes down after long battle
- Apr 4, 2011 — A retrospective of the theater "ghosts" that haunt SF neighborhoods
- Sep 23, 2010 — CityPlace project approval spells doom for St. Francis Theatre
- Jul 13, 2010 — New development to demolish theaters
Opened as the Empress Theatre December 4, 1910, this theatre was taken over by Sid Grauman March 25, 1917 and renamed the Strand Theatre. A Robert-Morton 3 manual 16 rank theatre organ was installed. On August 8, 1925 it was renamed again, this time as the St. Francis Theatre. By 1941 it was operated by the Fox West Coast Theatres chain.
On August 1, 1968, the theatre was twinned, and the downstairs screen was christened the St. Francis Theatre, while the upstairs screen was renamed as the Baronet Theatre.
The St. Francis Theatre closed in May, 2001. It stood empty until April/May 2013, when it was demolished to build a shopping mall. The same scheme also led to the demolition of the Pantages Theatre in June 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.