
Chelsea Theatre
178 Flinders Street,
Melbourne,
VIC
3000
2 people
favorited this theater
Uploaded By
More Photos of This Theater

The Chelsea was previously known as the Majestic theatre - ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ in Super Panavision played 5/6/64 to 10/6/65 For a season of 53 Weeks.
70mm Notes The Greater Union Majestic Melbourne and the Lyric Sydney were refurbished around the same time in the Autumn of 1960. With both cinemas to be equipped for 70mm and a 6-channel stereophonic sound.
It was the Majestic which reopened first renamed the Chelsea – followed by the Lyric renamed the Forum Cinema.
The Majestic Theatre was located at 178 Flinders Street in Melbourne and opened on the 31st August 1912. The theatre was renovated in 1936 with a Gala reopening of The Tunnel on the 24th April 1936.
The Majestic closed on the 25th February 1960 for the installation of Cinemeccanica Victoria X dual gauge 70/35mm projectors and a 6-channel sound system, reopening on the 10th June 1960 as the Chelsea Cinema with the Todd-AO 70mm season of Porgy and Bess.
The Chelsea presented thirty eight [38] 70mm presentations -
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS – Thank you to Greg Beasley, David Coles, Eric White and David Kilderry.
Contributed by Greg Lynch - dimensional1@bigpond.com
1 person
favorited this photo