210 Peachtree Street,
5 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Keith-Albee
Architects: Robert E. Hall
Firms: Robert E. Hall & Company
Previous Names: Keith's Georgia Theatre, Keith-Albee Georgia Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 18, 2013 — “South Pacific” 55th Anniversary – The Roadshow Engagements
- Oct 6, 2010 — Happy 50th, "Spartacus"
- Nov 18, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Ben-Hur"
- Oct 30, 2009 — Happy 50th, "Sleeping Beauty"
- Oct 17, 2008 — Remembering Cinerama (Part VII)
This theatre was a movie palace contained inside a complex of buildings which also included the Henry Grady Hotel. It was built in 1926 and opened November 15, 1926 as Keith’s Georgia Theatre, with Laura La Plante in “Her Big Night” and 5 acts of vaudeville. It was renamed the Roxy Theatre on December 30, 1938, reopening with Jane Withers in “Keep Smiling” and variety acts on the stage. It was converted into a Cinerama theatre from April 12, 1956 screening “This Is Cinerama”. It was demolished in 1972 to make way for Atlanta’s seventy-story Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel.
According to recent reports, the Roxy’s theatre organ is to be be re-installed in the Strand Theatre, presently undergoing restoration and located in nearby Marietta, GA.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.